Monday, January 10, 2011

Ribs, Creamy Potato Salad, and Cloverleaf Rolls

I'm not cooking anything today, I'm giving my attention to a sick puppy. I'm making formula and bottle feeding him. He's alive!! This morning, it didn't look so good. Thank you internet for helping me save this little runt. :-) Give you an update in the morning. It's looking good though.

Here's last night's dinner.

Dinner was delicious last night. My mountain man loves ribs and I had some so...umm ribs it was. He had been working all day out in the cold so I knew he'd be stoked to see them when he got home.

BEEF RIBS:

The ribs were the easy part. I used 8 beef ribs, cut into individuals ribs.

ribs boiling, potatoes cooking



Using two different pots, I boiled the ribs for 3 1/2 hours. Let me tell you, there is something to be said for a long boil on ribs. My, my. So tender and good. they fell right off the bone.

After boiling them for that amount of time, I put them in a broiler safe pan and slathered them in KC Masterpiece Original BBQ Sauce. Yeah I could have made my own. I should have but, this is our favorite store bought sauce.

Then I put them in the boiler, on high, for approx. 5 minutes on each side. Just enough it melt the BBQ sauce all over em'. ;-)

Creamy Potato Salad:

7 cups cubed red potatoes                                                                 
3 hard boiled egg, chopped
3/4 cup chopped red onion
palmful of thinly sliced green onion
1/2 cup chopped garlic dill pickle
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup pickle juice (secret ingredient, ssshhh)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dill weed

Place potatoes and onion in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
Put potatoes in a large bowl. Add chopped egg, pickles, and green onion. In a separate small bowl, mix sour cream, mayonnaise, pickle juice, salt, pepper, and dill. Pour over potato mixture and toss gently to coat. Then, I refrigerated until ready to serve. I garnished with paprika and dill.


Cloverleaf Rolls
recipe from: "Cloverleaf Rolls", Mom's Best Meals by tasteofhome by Reader's Digest., 2005. Reiman Media Group, Inc.


cloverleaf rolls

1 package active dry yeast                                                                  
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cup warm milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp salt
4 to 4 1/2 all purpose flour
additional melted butter

In a mixing bowl, combine yeast, sugar, and milk; beat until smooth. Add butter, egg and salt, mix well. Add 3 cups of flour; beat until  smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.

Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into 36 pieces and shape into balls.

Place 3 balls each into greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubles, about 30 minutes.

Brush with  butter. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.

Serve warm. YIELD: 2 dozen






 



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've just found Something Different For Dinner, sign up and become a follower so that you don't miss a thing!!!

Anonymous comments will not be published.