Monday, March 14, 2011

Apple Compote

Goodmorning!

I had a great weekend. Dinner and beers @ our local brew/pub with my sister (Lost Coast Brewery, Eureka, CA), a nice Italian dinner out with my sister in law (Gabriel's in Eureka, CA), St. Patty's party on Sunday for the kiddos (hosted by my good friend Lori). One on one time with my little M.

It was a great weekend, minus the never ending rain....

Oh and that little thing called a Tsunami warning in Eureka, and low lying areas of California. I have to say I am glad I live up in the mountains and not in the tsunami zone anymore.

And we must not forget the horrible earthquake in Japan.

By the way, a town about an hour north of where I live, Crescent City, CA,  had it's harbor and boats destroyed by the waves. Tsunami Video of Crescent City,CA harbor

I was inspired this morning by Pam @ http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/ to post only one aspect of my meal. She has an amazing blog, that inspires me and makes me hungry everyday. Check it out.

I was only making breakfast for two people so my recipe makes a small amount.
You will have to modify if you are preparing this for more people. Just double it. Real Easy.


Apple Compote

Ingredients:

2 large Golden Delicious apple; peeled, cored, sliced, and cubed
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 tablespoon Cherry Brandy (homemade from a friend)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
pinch salt
pinch of flour
1 tablespoon butter


Directions:

In a large sauce pan, combine water, sugar, spice, cherry brandy, vanilla, salt, flour, and butter. Boil gently until sugar is dissolved and it starts to thicken up, about 3-5 minutes.

Add in the apples, and return to boil. Once at a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the apples become tender, about 15-20 minutes. The mixture will thicken up too, thanks to that pinch of flour.

Let your compote sit and cool before serving. It will thicken even more.

Serve on top of Pancakes, Waffles, French Toast, or anything else that might sound good to you. 
OR use as a sweet side dish, or dinner dessert.





bringing my compote back to a boil



served on top of homemade waffles
Cheers! Have a great Monday! Thanks for dropping by. *Kelly

2 comments:

  1. I can see where this would be very good on waffles...even on ice cream...maybe even dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

If you've just found Something Different For Dinner, sign up and become a follower so that you don't miss a thing!!!

Anonymous comments will not be published.