Monday, April 18, 2011

Layered Green Chile Enchiladas & Spanish Rice


Spanish Rice
Original recipe taken from Simply Recipes
Adapted recipe and photos by SomethingDifferentForDinner

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 onion, chopped fine
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 cups of medium or long-grain white rice
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup of diced fresh or cooked tomatoes, strained
  • Pinch of oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 small can of diced green chiles
1. In a large skillet brown rice in olive oil, medium/high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook onion rice mixture, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, or until onions are softened.
2. Lastly, I added the rest of my ingredients to my rice cooker and turned that bad boy on. Simple. Throughout cooking I did stir occasionally. 

Green Chile Enchiladas w/ Green Sauce

I started by boiling 4 medium chicken breasts for about 2 hours. Add a dash of salt, and ground cumin.
Once done, I shredded the chicken well and put it in a large bowl.


To my shredded chicken I added, one can of cream of mushroom soup, no water, 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1 small can of fire roasted diced green chiles.


In a large baking dish, I first poured my green sauce on the bottom. Then put a layer of flour tortillas. Next, my chicken mixture and a layer of Colby Jack cheese. Another layer of tortillas, more green sauce, cheese, and topped with chopped black olives. You can layer however you like. I guess these are technically not enchiladas since I don't roll them. Oh well. Cover with foil.
Place in preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. For the last 10 minutes, uncover and let the cheese on top brown and get a little bit bubbly.
Once out of the oven. I added more cheese, I love cheese.



Cheers and happy eating!! Thanks for coming by!

1 comment:

If you've just found Something Different For Dinner, sign up and become a follower so that you don't miss a thing!!!

Anonymous comments will not be published.