Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Exotic Spice Cookies w/ Ginger, Cardamom, and Rosewater



Original Recipe courtesy of Camilla Saulsbury, winner of Ultimate Recipe Showdown 
Adapted recipe & photos by SomethingDifferentForDinner

Let me take a minute to say that these are my new favorite cookies.
They are incredible!!!

I absolutely recommend this recipe!! The ingredient list is a little tricky, and you may have to search a bit for some of the things. It's worth it. Give it a try...the recipe I mean.

Happy Baking everyone!!
Let's get to it.....


Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon rosewater
  • 3/4 cup turbinado (raw) sugar, for rolling



chopping my crystallized ginger


Directions

Whisk the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Mix in the crystallized ginger. Set aside momentarily.

mixing my wet ingredients

In a large bowl beat the brown sugar, butter and shortening with an electric mixer until fluffy (do not overbeat-it will add too much air). Add the egg, honey and rosewater and beat until blended. Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon, mixing until just until blended.

Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 2 cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the turbinado sugar in thick layer onto small plate. Using wet hands, form dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll in sugar to coat completely. Place balls on prepared sheets, spacing 2 to 3 inches apart.



raw sugar, ready to roll my dough in

Bake cookies until cracked on top but still soft to touch, about 11 to 13 minutes. Cool on sheets 1 minute. Carefully transfer cookies to wire racks; cool completely.


Thanks for stopping by!!!

4 comments:

  1. What an usual cookie. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog - I actually clicked on your recipe before I even knew it was yours! I love spice cookies but always end up making chocolate chips because my husband likes them...maybe I'll have to make these cookies for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo...I love spicy cookies! These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

If you've just found Something Different For Dinner, sign up and become a follower so that you don't miss a thing!!!

Anonymous comments will not be published.