Thursday, September 2, 2010

Southern Fried Chicken

I have had so much food left over!!! So, Tuesday was a leftover day. Nothing to post for ya. But Wednesday night I made fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy(made from the fried chicken drippings).YUUUUMMM. Here is the fried chicken recipe from my favorite: Paula Deen!! LOVE HER.


Southern Fried Chicken
Ingredients

3 eggs

1/3 cup water

About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete) (I DIDNT USE THIS, TOO HOT FOR THE KIDS)

2 cups self-rising flour

1 teaspoon pepper

House seasoning, recipe follows

1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces

Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Directions:

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
 
I also made mashed potatoes. I diced up some red potatos and boiled them until soft. Drained them, added some milk and butter(just add enough of both to make the potatos the consistancy you like) and mixed them up with my elecrtic mixer. I then used 2 tablespoons of my fried chicken drippings to make gravy. Starting with the drippings, I added 1-2 tablespoons of flour and some milk..dunno how much I eye balled it. Not too much though b/c you want the gravy to thicken up...I also salt and peppered it. Keep stirring your gravy b/c you don't want it to burn, and chances are you'll need to add more milk to make enough gravy for everyone. Keep stirring and cooking the gravy on medium heat until you have enough and the thickness you like.
 
This dinner was so stinkin good. I love me some fried chicken. Now only if I had cooked up some collard greens. YUM.

my dredging station
 
 
frying the chicken



Ready to eat


mashed potato face

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've just found Something Different For Dinner, sign up and become a follower so that you don't miss a thing!!!

Anonymous comments will not be published.