Monday, August 30, 2010

Enchilada Night

I had some hamburger meat that needed cooking so I based dinner last night around that. I decided on ground beef enchiladas with green sauce. I got this recipe from my good friend Amanda but, I have altered it a little bit. Its actually a bit more of a casserole b/c I don't fill and roll the enchiladas, I layer my ingredients.

Ingredients: 1/2 a block of Monterrey jack cheese, grated
                  1 large can of green enchilada sauce
                  1 can of cream of mushroom soup
                   1 can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
                  1 can of sliced olives
                  1 can of diced green chiles(mild)
                  1/2 an onion chopped
                   2 tablespoon of ground cumin- or more if you love it like I do
                   approx. 6 burrito size flour tortillas

Cooking directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
                                
I started by browning my ground beef, seasoned with salt and pepper, drained the grease, and set it aside. Next, in a large sauce pan I combined by onion, olives, can of tomatoes, can of green chiles, and cumin (this is key to the flavor of the enchiladas). I cooked all these things together on medium heat for about 10 minutes, or long enough to mix all the flavors well. Then I added the ground beef to the mix. The last thing I added to my meat filling was the cream of mushroom soup. This makes the filling a little creamy and cuts the spiciness of the chiles. I let this cook on medium-low heat for another couple minutes.


My ground beef browning and my tomato/olive/chile mix cooking on the back burner

Now I put my enchiladas together. I got my biggest casserole dish and began to layer. I started by putting a layer of flour tortillas on the bottom, then spread a layer of my meat filling topped with a layer of Monterrey jack cheese. I repeated this pattern one more time and on the very top poured my green sauce.

I covered the dish with foil and put it in my 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. After I took it out of the oven I let it set for about 5-10 minutes. I served with with some black beans and a dollop of sour cream. YUMM-O

black beans

ready to eat


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've just found Something Different For Dinner, sign up and become a follower so that you don't miss a thing!!!

Anonymous comments will not be published.